Only one of the parents will have the right to a family allowance. The federal law provides a monthly allowance payment of 200 swiss francs per child until their 16th anniversary. This allowance is of 250 swiss francs if the child in in studies between their 16th and 25th anniversary.
Some of these amounts were raised by the cantons.
- ✔Neuchâtel offers an amount of 220 swiss francs. (250.- from the 3rd child)
- ✔ Jura offers an amount of 250 swiss francs.
- ✔ Genève offers an amount of 300 swiss francs. (500.- from the 3rd child)
- ✔ Le Valais offers an amount of 275 swiss francs. (375.- from the 3rd child)
- ✔ Le Tessin offers an amount of 200 swiss francs.
- ✔ Fribourg offers an amount of 245 swiss francs. (265.- from the 3rd child)
Starting from the 1st of january 2013, independant workers benefit from family allowances in all of Switzerland. (this wasn't the case before).
The payment of these family allowances is deposited every month on your salary. To benefit from them, the employee must make a demand to his employer, and prepare the necessary paperwork. (Family book, Birth certificate)
Family allowance for inter-border workers
As an inter-border worker, you have the possibility to benefit from a family allowance for each one of your children.
The persons insured by the AVS as unemployed can benefit from family allowances if their tax revenue is lower or equal than 56'400.- per year, or if they do not benefit from complementary allowances.
A birth allowance or birth bonus is offered at the birth of each child, according to the following canton :
- ✔Neuchâtel offers an amount of 1'200 swiss francs.
- ✔ Jura offers an amount of 850 swiss francs.
- ✔ Genève offers an amount of 2'000 swiss francs.
- ✔ Le Valais offers an amount of 2'000 swiss francs.
- ✔ Vaud offers an amount of 1'500 swiss francs.
- ✔ Fribourg offers an amount of 1'500 swiss francs.
This birth bonus is offered for each child if the pregnancy lasted at least 23 weeks. To benefit from this allowance, the mother must have had a swiss residency during the 9 months preceding the birth of the child. Hence, a child born abroad, whose mother has swiss residency since at least 9 months before the birth, gives right to the birth bonus.